Breastfeeding has made my daily diet a bit wonky…I am currently doing an elimination diet to see what is making poor Oakleigh have tummy troubles. Without our go-to no knead bread (oh how I miss it!) I wanted a cornbread that I could eat with soup. So many recipes are gluten free, some are dairy free but use a dairy substitute. So I decided to give it a go with just water and see what happened.
AMAZING cornbread!!! We may not even go back…
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Perfect Cornbread
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbs molasses or honey
- 4 Tbs bacon fat, coconut oil or butter
Fat for greasing pan
- In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the water, molasses and eggs to the dry ingredients, and mix until blended.
- Let corn mixture sit for a half hour, stirring occasionally if you remember.
- Place a cast iron skillet or cast iron muffin pan in oven, and preheat to 400 (for about 30 minutes while the cornmeal continues to soak, 1 hour total)
- When oven is hot, mix in vinegar to the corn mix.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and melt 2-3 Tbs butter/oil/fat to coat the pan. (or drop a large pea size chunk of butter or fat/oil in each muffin hole) and immediately pour in the batter. Return the skillet to the oven, and bake at 375 for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden and the center is just cooked through. Check a few minutes early as all ovens vary and add a few extra minutes if needed. Taking care not to over-bake will ensure moist cornbread.