Monday night dinner needed dessert. In our fridge we had two huge boxes of really good dates. So I googled date cake. I love sticky date pudding but wanted something simpler. I found a recipe, tweaked it a bit, and came up with this. It far exceeded expectations and will be part of our usual rotation from now on.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white or coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan. In a saucepan, combine water and dates. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour, salt and date mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven, and set oven to Broil.
- Make Topping: In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons coconut oil. Stir in brown sugar, cream and chopped nuts. Spread mixture over warm cake and place under broiler until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Watch carefully – it burns easily under the broiler.