Last year our zucchini growing efforts were unsuccessful. I am still not sure how that was possible but it was.
This year is the total opposite. We have plants that are literally almost thigh high, with leaves like platters. HUGE flowers are producing lots of zucchini and we are thrilled. Ask me again in a month if I still feel this way!
Sunday morning I took our largest friend on the kitchen counter and turned him into two beautiful loaves of scrumptious chocolate chip zucchini bread. I have never had a standard recipe so here is what I made this time.
This made two loaves.
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil (melted if solid)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain whole greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups zucchini, shredded and squeezed in a towel to dry a bit
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Method: in a bowl, mix dry ingredients. In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients and sugar. Stir together gently. Add zucchini and chocolate chips. Do not overmix!
Bake in two loaf pans lined with parchment at 350 for ~40 minutes or until golden brown and tester comes out clean.