I am a spoiled birthday girl. On Monday night, Matt treated me to the most AMAZING homemade pizza…sauce from scratch, dough from scratch, and really good toppings. Beth came over and the three of us had wine, pizza, and passed out candy to trick-or-treaters. Then we watched Young Frankenstein to finish off the Halloween night. My birthday cake was amazing, quite honestly the best I have ever had. We made the whole thing from scratch. If you ever need a great chocolate cake recipe that is super easy and wonderful, try this recipe.
Best Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Use the first set of ingredients to make the cake. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer. Stir in the boiling water by hand. Pour evenly into the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
We covered it with homemade coconut pecan icing. Yummy!
Spoiled enough? I thought so, but apparently Matt had more in store. He bought me an iPad 2 with a green case and my favorite quote engraved on the back. What a surprise! I have wanted one for a long time now, and we have been planning to buy one. However, since we are doing everything with combined finances big purchases take more time to figure out. I had not gotten a clear “lets do this” from him about the iPad so I was not pushing. Matt said that this was his way of saying it was ok to get one! I am having fun playing with it, and cannot wait to use it to share pictures with people! So much easier than hauling around a laptop and way better to look at than my phone!
I am one lucky girl!